Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tracting!

So my first real tracting experience yesterday and it was interesting. A member referred us to tract her street so we decided that that is what we were going to do. So Elder Dye, Elder Walker and I went tracting for about an hour. Some people were really nice and just said 'Hey ya know i really respect what you guys are doing but I am happy with my church.' So we kept pressing forward. Some people simply just looked through the window and waved us off their porch. Most just didn't answer or weren't home. The most memorable was the lady who came to the door and after Elder Walker had finished telling her who we were she immediately said, "No thanks I don't believe in polygamy." So Elder Walker politely said, "Well that's good because we don't either." We then explained to her that we don't believe in multiple wives and that we only want and can have one. After that she politely declined our invitation to talk to her further and we were on our way.
I thought that talking to her was just a waste of time being a greenie, or new, to the mission field but my companions said that as long as we got to help someone understand our church a little more then it wasn't wasted time at all. 

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!

    It sounds as though you have hit the ground running. Well done.

    I have a small word of advice and encouragement for you and I hope you do not mind me yikyakking at you a bit. Here goes.

    During your mission whenever you wonder if an activity or ANYTHING was a waste of time always remember that every word, every action may be remembered and used later by someone. I am basing that on the fact that several transfers (and splits) happened during my time as an investigator and that some from earlier in the process may not know that they are thought of fondly and that they helped me.

    I know it can be a let down to think of this and not KNOW that it wasnt a waste, but then again isnt that part of the poetry of faith? Belief in things unseen?

    Who knows, maybe 10 yrs down the road one smile, one phrase, one card may bubble up in a persons mind therefore leading them to prayer and investigation. Or an investigator, that does not go past some discussions, perhaps may have had children listening and as they grow they will remember and investigate and be baptized as they become adults.

    You never really know, so, therefore it is not a waste.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete