Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Church History

I have been reading in personal study lately a lot about our church's history and the trying times that the early Latter-day Saints had to go through. There are many testimony building stories in the book Our Heritage. There were many hardships when the early Latter-Day Saints treked out to Salt Lake. Death was abundant but that didn't stop them. Here is an excerpt from Our Heritage. "Death frequently visited the Saints as they slowly made their way west. On 23 June 1850 the Crandall family numbered fifteen. By the week’s end seven had died of the dreaded plague of cholera. In the next few days five more family members died. Then on 30 June Sister Crandall died in childbirth along with her newborn baby."
A whole family dying was not uncommon as saints made the trek out west. Examples like this one help me be more humble and help me realize that if they can make it then I can make it. I love this church and I am so thankful that I can be out here serving the Lord for two years. Even though I miss my loved ones and friends, it is but a small price to pay.

4 comments:

  1. small price to pay, and great will be the reward as we endure to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Elder Martin. I just came across your blog and wanted to say thank you for both your blog and your service! However, as I do so, I did want to point out that you’ve mis-capitalized the word “Latter-day,” which is spelled with a lowercase “d.” There is a Protestant group that uses the capital “D” (although without a hyphen), but the Lord’s Church uses a lowercase “d” and has, for a very long time. :-)

    Regardless, thank you again, and keep the faith! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I somehow missed this the first time, but the title of this post is also misspelled. Don’t worry, though. I’ll always remember the time I had to email the Church to tell them that the front page of LDS.org was advertising a new DVD called “Finding Faith in Chirst.” ^_^

    Seriously, though, thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete